Programs and Services
Our Senior Center is distinct in the services and programs it offers. We provide a wide variety of programs and activities geared to the interests of our active and productive seniors. Each week we have over forty different creative skills classes, four different dance classes, two different exercise groups, creative writing, computer skills, duplicate and party bridge and other card games, billiards, music classes, chorus, orchestra, health screenings and health related programs, and much more.
We also provide a variety of services for those much less active seniors who are confined on a limited or permanent basis to their homes. Meals on Wheels, limited homemaker services, case management and information and referral all fall into this category. Research tells us that these services help to keep people in their own homes for a longer period of time and saves millions of dollars in nursing home expenses.
In the area of nutrition, in addition to our Meals on Wheels program, the Senior Center itself is one of the six nutrition centers in Madison County which provides a hot meal each day, Monday through Friday, at a cost to the seniors dictated by income.
There are also some forty satellite groups associated with the Senior Center throughout Madison County to provide additional activities and camaraderie for hundreds of seniors.
Our Senior Center is considered one of the top centers in the United States.
Personal Enrichment Programs
- Recreation - Organized activities range from table games, trips and dances, to sporting events, line dancing, and performing arts.
- Creative Skills - Ceramics, woodworking, painting, sewing and needlework are some of the classes offered continuously.
- Health - Maintenance programs feature exercises, screenings, education and stress management.
- Education - History, languages, writing, genealogy and computers are just some of the classes that are offered.
- Transportation - Assistance is provided for those unable to use the City Shuttle.
- Retired and Senior Volunteer Program - Seniors provide valuable services for area non-profit agencies.
- Satellite Centers - 39 satellite groups, extensions of the Senior Center, meet throughout Madison County.
- Meals on Wheels - Volunteers deliver nutritious lunches to homebound Seniors Monday through Friday.
- Nutrition Centers - Providing fellowship, recreational activities and a hot, midday meal Monday through Friday at 9 locations in Madison County, including the Senior Center.
- Adult Day Health Care - Supervised weekday program for mentally or physically disabled adults.
- Homemaker Services - In home services to promote independent living.